Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It smells like...

Yesterday I was going to make some cinnamon rolls to take to family. In a hurry, I made the dough, let it rise, and then quickly grabbed brown sugar and cinnamon to spread on the dough. Instead of measuring I just sprinkled on some sugar and cinnamon, and started to spread it around. Quickly I noticed that it seemed a little too red... I got nervous, thinking I overdid it big time on the cinnamon... I added more brown sugar to try to counteract the cinnamon flavor, and finished rolling and cutting the rolls. I put them in the oven, but was still nervous about the cinnamon... After 10 minutes in the oven, the rolls didn't look right. The dough still looked gooey, and there was red liquid oozing out the bottoms. I panicked and thought, "this does not look right."

The next thought that crossed my mind was, "It smells like chimmies." That's a weird thought, I thought. You don't put cinnamon in chimmies.

Then it suddenly dawned on me.

I had another container in my cupboard that looks very similar to the cinnamon.... CHILI POWDER. Ding ding ding! Sure enough, I had made chili powder rolls.

In my defense, they DO look similar. Granted, the color is not exactly the same when you see them side-by-side, but alone at a quick glance, it could easily pass as cinnamon. If I had simply looked at the label, I would have noticed that it was not cinnamon, but-- okay I don't have an excuse for not looking at the label. :)

I was going to take a picture of the chili powder rolls, but Taiyo threw them away before I got to it, so you'll just have to imagine. Other than the red color they were actually kind of pretty! Hehe... So quickly I pulled out the ingredients and stared over from scratch. Fortunately, the correct cinnamon rolls came out FABULOUS. :)



1 comment:

vanessa v said...

this story is hilarious! i'm glad you guys didn't eat the spicy rolls :)