Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Feast

My plan was to get quite a few things done over the weekend for school, particularly yesterday since we didn't have any big plans for Memorial day, but it didn't end up as productive as I had hoped. Yesterday our neighbors Paula and Lose called and then Taiyo said to me, "Do you want to go to Hauula and see how to cook a pig? Paula is going to cook one at their uncle's house." So I just thought Yeah, sounds fun! And off we went. Little did I know that we were actually going for a two-pig get-together feed, with some friends of Lose's uncle's that were here visiting from Canada. So anyway we ended up staying there for the rest of the day, late enough that we just went straight to bed when we got home. But it was quite fun to see the boys preparing the pigs, from freshly dead to pulled apart on the table in front of us. I helped prepare some of the other food inside with the aunt. And all the food was really good!! Some cousins even came by and put on a show for us with 4 boys under the age of 15 doing fire knife dances (they're Jr. champions~ so good!!) and a couple little girls dancing Tahitian. It was adorable. Here are some pictures.




Notice the tourist neighbors watching from the porch next door, hehe...



Taiyo roasting one of the kidneys before they put the pigs up.... eww.



I even got a couple turns, haha. Although total I spent maybe 5 minutes doing it. Paula and Taiyo sat there and turned the pigs for almost 2 and 1/2 hours.



Mmm, finally, looks about cooked and crispy!


The feed:


The entertainment:

No comments: